Monday, April 26, 2010

Chaotic Bakers & Chefs!

I’m thinking maybe Chefs & Bakers are only organized in the kitchen. I set up 2 different interviews, one w/ a Baker, and one with a chef, who both failed to be available when they said they would. And both of them are friends of mine.


My first attempt was with Baker Chris Janicek of Cake Box. I first sent him a message on facebook, asking if he could make Panda cupcakes for a friend’s going away party at SkateDaze a week away. I also said I’d like to interview him for my culinary class assignment. He didn’t get back to me so I started making other plans to just make some cookies for the party. He left a message the night before the party at 10:40 pm asking if I still wanted panda cupcakes. I called him back 15 minutes later and got no answer. I finally reached him the next day & said he could do it and he would come & bring them to the skate party. He did come to the party w/ the cutest cupcakes ever. And they were very delicious.


The plan was to take a few minutes and interview him there because there was no telling if I was going to be able to get in touch w/ him again. However, 30 seconds after I put my skates on & 30 ft later, I fell flat on my tailbone. I didn’t even make it to the rink. I was in so much pain I just sat there & smiled thru it and the interview was the last thing on my mind. Plus he was busy visiting w/ everyone. I told him my assignment was due a week earlier than it actually was so that I would be sure of getting an interview with him in time. He said Sunday would be good for me to call him & either come over or interview him over the phone. I called. I left a message. I still have not been called back.

So then I moved on to my other friend, who is the evening Chef at The Market Basket. I run into him all the time in Benson. I asked him if I could interview him & he said “of course”. Friday night we were planning to go see a band in Benson, so I thought about bringing my  questions in case I ran into him. Well I did but I forgot my questions & he was in a hurry anyway, so he said Sunday was good. So on Sunday I sent him an e-mail, a message on facebook and I gave him my number. I said I could send him the questions, talk to him on the phone, or stop by, because again, we were going to be in Benson that night.

I didn’t hear back from him all day, so I brought my questions with me and went to Benson early. We stopped by his place and knocked, but no answer. We tried the local hangout, Jake’s, and the bartender said he hadn’t been in. He said that he Justin, who is also an amazing artist, usually turns his apartment into a gallery on Sundays & has showings. But even though the lights were on, there still was no answer. Maybe he was making a deal with a client. He can make a lot of money from his art so I would understand that taking precedence.

So I will just tell you what I know about them. Chris Janicek of Cake Box, makes the most amazing and delicious cakes. He will try to make any kind of theme that someone may come up with. I had called Cupcake Island and Sweet Magnolia’s and neither one was willing to make panda cupcakes for me. Chris had never made them either but said that he just googled them & got some ideas. That is what I would do and I did. And I would actually expect someone else to do that. He did an amazing job. I asked if he could make a cake in the shape of a tutu for my upcoming birthday, because I love wearing tutu’s. He said, “Why not?” I just hope I can get a hold of him.

Justin is amazing. He is an incredible artist, an experienced Chef and even a local musician. His band played mine & Fletch’s engagement party 16 years ago. He started out working at Jam’s and learning from the head Chef there. He then moved to Seattle to work under Chef Kathleen Longrin at Coastal Kitchen where he learned a lot about different seafood dishes. Next Justin went to New York where he was involved with the opening of Fressen. Here he learned more about the fast paced upscale dining of a French Bistro. He then struck out on his own for awhile and became a private chef to many of New York’s elites and their special diets, including a raw food only diet.

Justin then came back to Omaha and became the sous chef at Blue Sushi, where he learned about Asian Infusion. After 2 years, he got an amazing offer to be a chef traveling all over the South Pacific on a private yacht. He used fresh ingredients from local islands to create the meals.

Justin is now back in Omaha and is the amazing evening Chef at The Market Basket and has his own art gallery in the heart of Benson.

No comments:

Post a Comment