Saturday, April 10, 2010

Winner Winner Catfish Dinner

I’ve always said, “It’s hard to be a gourmet cook if you live in Glenwood, Iowa. The stores have very basic produce, they never have fresh herbs and they only have one type of fish at a time, if they have any at all. They’ve never had an eggplant in the 13 years I‘ve lived here & when I asked, they didn’t even know what eggplant was.
Yesterday I decided to make my home cooked meal & thought I'd try something out of the ‘On Cooking’ book from class. I picked a very simple recipe w/ very simple ingredients, Steamed Salmon w/ Lemon and Olive Oil. It also seemed pretty healthy, which is how I normally eat. I checked my freezer for Salmon, which I always have, but was out today. So I crossed my fingers that Salmon would be the fish of choice today at the store. It usually is. Not today. Only Catfish. Are you kidding me? I never use catfish. Any seafood but catfish.

So I called Fletch(my husband) & had him find me a Catfish recipe out of the book & tell me the ingredients. The store didn’t have Leeks for my Salmon recipe anyway.
I decided on the ‘Oven-Fried Pecan Catfish’ on pg. 607. I don’t usually do fried foods, but this was an oven dish, so really it was baked. Plus, besides the Catfish, I had all the ingredients at home; dijon mustard, milk and pecans. For sides, I decided to make Brussels Sprouts in Pecan Butter, on pg.736, and Maple-Glazed Carrots, on pg.754.

I got all my Mise en Place set up for each recipe. Except for the Brussels Sprouts, I had to cut the recipes way down because I wasn’t about to make 4lbs of Carrots or 12 Catfish Filets for 2 people.

I peeled & cut a 1/2 lb. of carrots into rondelles. I chopped some fresh parsley and got the butter, maple syrup and s & p ready.
I trimmed & marked X’s in the bottoms of 1lb of Brussels Sprouts and got my chopped pecans, butter and s & p ready.

I started boiling water for the Carrots & Sprouts while I got things ready for the Catfish. I ground the pecans, laid those out on parchment paper, and mixed the milk & dijon. I dredged the catfish thru the dijon mix, scraping off the excess. Then I rolled them in the ground pecans & put them on a lightly oiled baking sheet and into a 450 degree oven for 12 minutes.

While the catfish was in the oven I boiled the Sprouts for 10 min. & parboiled the carrots for 3 min. I strained the carrots & put them in an ice bath for a minute. Then I sautéed the carrots until slightly tender, threw in some s & p, added the maple syrup and left on low.

I strained the Sprouts. It said to heat the butter in a sauté pan until 'noisette'. By definition that is “a small, usually round, portion of meat cut from the rib”. What? I ignored it & just heated butter as usual. I added the pecans to the butter for a minute or 2, then I tossed in the Sprouts. I let it set on low while I garnished the carrots w/ fresh parsley.
I checked the Catfish & it flaked easily, so I pulled them out. I served dinner w/ a Pinot Grigio.

The Carrots and Brussels Sprouts were awesome. I’ve tried glazing carrots before using brown sugar and it never worked that well. I’ve also never had much luck w/ Brussels Sprouts but I think making the X’s in them helped make them more tender. I think I'd try less butter next time because I try to healthy & there was more than enough butter & pecans. The Catfish was good, but I think next time I would try spreading the Dijon mixture on w/ a brush. It said to scrape off the excess but I still think there was too much. I think the pecans soaked up the excess & when I baked it, it never got that good crunchy coat. And I would make 1 filet & split it. They were huge filets & we don’t eat that much. We will have leftovers for lunch today though.

I also kept up on the clean-up. Fletch said the kitchen stayed remarkably clean. Not usually a trait of mine. But with all the Mise en Place, things went much smoother.

It was also probably a good thing the store had no Salmon, or any other fish I’m used to making. It forced me to try something different, even though I still prefer Salmon over Catfish any day. I also learned that it’s Brussels (w/ an ‘s’) Sprouts, not Brussel Sprouts.


And Fletch, who specializes in concert photography, says he doesn't like photographing food. He just may come to like it after this awesome photo of Brussels Sprouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment